Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

35. Part 2 - The Grinding

<< Previous - Part 1 - The Self-Dementia

Now, what is the solution for this dementia? What should the Sun do to know the truth? What should I do to know the truth? Several paths are preached. But eventually all have to culminate into one - Self-Enquiry, which is emphasized with utter simplicity by Ramana Maharshi.

In my childhood, I used to see my mother grinding rice using a heavy grinding stone using her own hands. In one hand she would be rotating the stone and in another hand she would be skillfully pushing the crushed rice paste again and again back into the center, because as the stone crushes the batter, most of it gets squeezed out. If not pushed back again, it will remain on the edges without being subject to further crushing. This way rotating the stone alone will not produce the smooth batter, the repeated act of pushing the squeezed-out portion is equally necessary. It has to be skillfully done because a small error would make the hand itself get crushed.

Similarly, Self-Enquiry is like the stone that crushes the wrong notions and wrong knowledge. But as we do this, so many wrong notions escape our attention and squeeze themselves out from the pressure spot. If unnoticed, they will remain happily stagnated on the edges without being crushed. They have to be repeatedly pushed back to the center so that they get crushed fully in the end. Contemplations subsidiary to the main enquiry are equally necessary, and they have to be repeatedly carried out, because notions do not change overnight. So, both the meanings of the word ‘grinding’ matches our purpose here 1) Crushing 2) Instill by persistent repetition. At the same time it has to be done skillfully, i.e. with sharp logic and reasoning. Else the contemplation may again lead to wrong notions and narrow-mindedness.

When I read Ramana, more than the explanation of Self-Enquiry, I saw that he corrects so many of the deep rooted wrong notions that we have about Self-Realization. And when they are gone, or even weakened, enquiry should become spontaneous. It is these wrong notions that block the most obvious question ‘Who Am I’ from springing up within me. It is these wrong notions that has made me act like a sheep instead of knowing that I am a Lion. This dementia is very strong. And hence, contemplation also has to be intense, regular and continuous if at all the dementia has to be eradicated. Along with the practice of actual Self-Enquiry, which we will see in the next post, contemplation to crush all the associated wrong notions greatly aids the enquiry. So we will see them first.

The biggest notion that has to be pounded repeatedly is – “I will attain something with Self-Realization”. I will not attain anything. I already am. But I am assigning the existence of ‘I’ to a very limited part of the dream, called a body. The Sun is assigning his existence to a very limited existence of the planets. So, the only thing to be done is to find out what I mean by ‘I’. This idea “I will not attain anything with realization, there is nothing to be attained” has to be intensely contemplated upon, with the reasoning that if something is attainable, then it can be lost as well. Such a temporary state cannot become the final goal. So, this cannot be something attainable. It should always be, here and now. But I may be ignoring what I am, like the Sun.

Somewhat related to the above is “I will become something after Self-Realization”. I will not become anything. I am already what I am. In fact it is now that I have virtually become a limited something – the body. So, in the real sense realization is un-becoming, un-becoming something limited. The original state always is, we cannot become what we already are. We only un-become what we are not. And that too is virtual, self-imposed, like the Sun’s self-imposed becoming.

There will be light everywhere and I will hear OM Kara”. Hmm. This one is quite funny. Do you have to see light for you to be yourself? Do you have to hear OM Kara for you to be yourself? What do we want? Self-Realization or Light-Realization? If I am seeing light, that means I am still separate from light. Seer, seeing and seen still exist. How is this any better than seeing sunlight or tube-light? The seer should be realized, not some light or sound. All these are unnecessary attractions and distractions. So, let us not run after some dumb light or sound. Always remember the goal – (your) Self, and not any object ‘seen’ or ‘heard’ by the Self (you). If some light is indeed seen, then the question has to be “How is it that I am seeing? What Am I?”

Self-Realization is very difficult. Krishna himself told in the Gita”. The same Krishna has told that it is ‘Susukham’, utterly easy, in the 9th chapter. It is up to us which one we will hold on to. Negative mind only tries to find excuses, and ignores the inspirations. A positive mind only looks for boosts, and ignores negative statements. But in fact, Krishna never said directly that it is difficult. He says “Out of many, only few will try, and out of that few who try, again a very few will reach the goal”. Well, this is normal. It is up to us to decide whether we will yield and be a drop-out or persevere and be a winner. Moreover, you just look around you. How many are into spirituality? A very small percentage of the world’s population, isn’t it? And among the ones who are into spirituality, how many do you think are into genuine spirituality and how many into hocus-pocus spirituality? That answers your doubt! You are already among the very very few who are into genuine spirituality without any unnecessary distractions. That means, statistically speaking as per Krishna’s words, there is a very high scope for you and me! J

This one is a little subtle – “I feel very calm. Mind becomes so quiet and there are no thoughts”. Very good. But it is not over yet. Who is it that is witnessing calmness? The object of perception has become very subtle – blankness, silence. But the seer is still not realized. Instead the seer is occupied looking at the blankness and silence. The truth is beyond sound and silence. But since we cannot call it as sound, we attribute silence to it. The truth is beyond light and darkness. But since we cannot call it as darkness, we attribute light to it. The truth is beyond knowledge and ignorance. But since we cannot call it as ignorance, we associate knowledge with it. The truth is beyond freedom and bondage. But since we cannot call it as bondage, we attribute freedom to it. But all the while, the truth is beyond all dualities. And what is that truth? Something hidden in the skies? Absolutely not. It is the closest to you, nearest to you, dearest to you. It is YOU, Awareness.

Aham Brahmasmi – I will realize that I am omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent”. If we analyze carefully, all these words are meaningless. Because first of all, is there really an ‘everywhere’? Dream explanation will help us understand this better. In my sleep, I create the dream, and actually I am the whole dream. So, I myself first create ‘everywhere’ and then I say ‘I am everywhere, I am omnipresent’. Why all this circus? In fact the ‘everywhere’ is within me. So, “I am everywhere” is the wrong way of saying it. Same is the case with omniscient and omnipotent. The truth is simply is, it is neither here, nor there. I simply am, neither here, nor there. Here-there are within me.

This way there are umpteen of them which come in the later stages – “I will become divine”, “I will become immortal”, “I will become a great spiritual saint, all will respect me”, “I will get special powers” etc. But the funny part is in all of these the ‘I’ again means the body. So, the enquirer is back at square one! The enquiry has stopped and the enquirer has again gone back to the notion ‘I am a body’, thereby creating a sense of separation from the rest of the dream. What is the use how great I become in my own dream? I may even become a superman flying around, but still I am stuck in the dream. Flying in the dream is as useless as walking in it. Prison is a prison, whether made of iron or diamonds.

The only thing to do is to relentlessly push all these escaped notions back to the hotspot – the original enquiry – “I will become great? Ok. Fine. But what is this I?”
Next post - The Self-Enquiry

No comments:

Post a Comment