Pages

Friday, June 12, 2020

59. From Nothing to Something to No-Thing


You may have the notion that you are an individual first, and that only as a consequence you developed the idea of 'mine'. This is because 'me' is assumed to be a certain concrete entity, whereas 'mine' is merely a process — an act of assertion and defense. So one unconsciously favors the notion that the concrete entity 'I' came into being first, and then 'I' developed the impulse of defending some other entity as 'mine'. But look into this keenly.

If 'I' am entity X, calling a distinct entity Y as 'mine', what about X? Is X also mine? We are necessitated to say 'Yes', because if X is not mine, if I am not mine, then how can I assert anything else as mine? But if X is mine, then how is X any different from Y? That which is mine is intuitively understood as something apart from me. If X is mine, how can it be 'me' at the same time?

We can posit many things here and write a philosophical paper to argue that X is both me and mine. But nevertheless, something seems off. We do sense that at the very core, it cannot be that 'I' defend a distinct 'mine'; at some point 'I' and 'mine' have to converge. But this does not seem to work out coherently if we start with a concrete 'I' into which 'mine' eventually converges. So, can it be the other way round? Can it be that 'mine' is first into which 'I' converges? Can it be that at the core there is no concrete entity at all?

What does this mean? This means that at the very core, the very impulse of defense IS 'me'.  A claim 'mine' of nothing IS 'me'. The very resistance IS the individual—the 'original sin', the first error, a defense of nothing, a dummy claim, a resistance towards existence for the sake of nothing, upon which accrues all the paraphernalia, giving rise to a complex personality. The great show that is put up upon this nothing makes it look like there is indeed something very precious at the core ('soul' and the like), and the individual accrues more and more protective layers upon it (including 'spiritual' layers), and becomes more and more defensive in a vicious manner, resisting the rest of the existence, and becoming increasingly constipated.

But this very hardening cracks it one day, giving a glimpse of the idiocy of the whole affair. A longing to end the drama, a force to counter the stagnant fortress, rises, not resting until the whole structure is dissolved.


Defending nothing comes into being some-thing
And dissolving that something remains the Being that is No-Thing

3 comments:

  1. Can you please elaborate 'spiritual layers'with some example🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually anything that reinforces the personality and constricts the individual in some way is not spiritual. So in that sense "spiritual layer" is a paradox. But people are capable of using any label to constipate themselves further, and the same happens in "spirituality" also. Blog number 54 touched upon that.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely touched by your words sir. I'm a 19' year old and I'm desperately longing for all thoes enlightenment stuffs.. But I'm deprive of guru, as many says that a guru is essential to help you out from the dualities and helps to cultivate to know brahman within self, By listening to ur videos and sadhguru's i got to know different realms of the spirituality. Thank you so much for your efforts annaya. But can you please answer my question - is it possible to achieve enlightenment without guru....

    ReplyDelete