Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2015

50. The Imaginary Plight of Light

<< Previous - I am Miserable Because...

Light energy comes through a bulb. Due to witnessing the bulb as an individual entity (which is also a form of energy), the light-energy also gets identified as "light from this bulb". Else there is no identity to it - there is one ocean of energy. You cannot point at the light and say "this light" or "that light". There is really no division in energy (strictly speaking there is - there are packets/quanta of energy - but let us not be so rigorous - this is for the sake of an analogy). The division created in energy by saying "light from this/that bulb" is only apparent and not real. The division is due to witnessing only a part of the ocean at a time, and not recognizing that it is one whole - universe.

Similarly, the identification of consciousness as "mind from this/that body" is apparent and not real. There aren't different consciousnesses just as there aren't different energy. It is one continuum, one existence.

Therefore we have to get out of this ignorance of "this individual light" - because there is no such thing. "Light from the bulb" is not an individual; similarly "me from this brain" is not an individual - it is an unceasing flow of consciousness. It can never be pinpointed as "this". All such pinpointing is wrong (avidya - ignorance). If you say "I am the body" it is as good as the light from the bulb saying "I am this bulb" and creating an imaginary plight. Light can witness the bulb from which it is coming, but it is never the bulb. Furthermore, energy does not go out of existence, it always is; similarly, consciousness never goes out of existence, it always is. Sorry... I always am.

Therefore keenly and diligently focus on this light - the sense of 'me' - and know yourself as the undivided ocean of light, rather than as a petty bulb. And roar, 'I am That'

"I am waiting peace that passeth understanding, which is neither joy nor sorrow, but something above them both…. Now I am nearing that peace, the eternal silence. I preached the theory (of Vedanta) so long but Oh joy! I am realizing it now. Yes, I am. ‘I am free.’ Alone, alone, I am the one without a second.’" (Swami Vivekananda - 1902 May 15 - few days prior to Mahasamadhi)

7 comments:

  1. The example of light and bulb is classical. Your way of telling makes it very clear - I am undivided ocean of light. Just by knowing it through our intellect itself gives peace and sense of inner freedom. As you have told, keenly and diligently focus on this light - the sense of 'me'....This journey towards 'me' by 'me' is interesting. The knowledge you share makes it more interesting....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am also finding this to be a very helpful analogy for self-enquiry.

      Delete
  2. Please keep up with your writings and videos. I live in the UK and it a privilege to have these talks to listen to. I connect with them and request you to continue as much as you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. I have not been lecturing much recently. I can write though :) Will do.

      Delete
    2. On a different topic, can you please explain the what Buddha states are the 3 views on self- between the self and skandhas. I am unable to grasp the subtle difference between the 1st and 3rd view ... Of skandha as self and interbeing of skandha in self .

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I am unaware of these aspects. If I read about it, and if I understand something I will let you know.

      Delete
    4. I went through Buddha's teachings and came across what you are asking. "Interbeing" is very frequently mentioned by him as interdependence. Everything in existence are interdependent. For instance fruit and manure are interbeings. Fruit comes into being from manure, and manure comes into being from fruit. Each apparent "object" in existence is actually not an independent object, but is just a temporary form of the same reality transforming in various ways. So he points out that self is not interbeing with anything else.

      Delete